Statement earrings are a great way to put your jewelry making knowledge to use. One trend that we have been noticing is shoulder duster earrings, which are just statement earrings that dangle all the way to the shoulders (and then some). They are perfect to wear anywhere from the red carpet to the runway to a night out on South Street. The best part about making your own jewelry is that you can customize to fit your unique style. The sample pair of earrings we made was inspired by a pair worn by Maggie Gyllenhaal on the red carpet that featured some freshwater pearls. We decided to take advantage of our beautiful supply of Baroque Pearls to make a pair of our own! Follow along to make a pair for yourself.
What You’ll Need:
- Earwire of choice (we used a hook style)
- Gemstone beads, pearls, glass beads, or any style you like
- Chain of your choosing (We have sterling silver, gold filled, as well as plated chain)
- jewelry pliers
- wire cutters
What You’ll Do:
- Let’s start from the bottom! Take a stone of your choice and thread it onto a small length of your wire. Use the wire wrap loop technique to create a loop above your bead. Before closing the loop, attach a length of chain (as long or as short as you want) to the loop. This chain will connect each bead and add length to your earrings.
- Repeat the first step, adding beads between the wire to your desired length. Try to make them long enough to deserve the name shoulder duster earrings!
- Once you have the base of the earring complete, it’s time to attach it to your earwire. Open the loop at the bottom of your earwire, then attach it to the last loop you made on the base of the earring. Close the loop on the earwire, and you’re done the first earring! Now on to the next one…
For an even bolder statement, use different but complimentary stones on your second earring. We’ve got tons of gemstone beads to choose from, with different colors and shapes that will really compliment each other in a pair of statement earrings. Mix-and-match earrings are also super on-trend this Spring, so don’t be afraid to mix it up!
If you made these earrings, we’d love to see them! Post a photo of your beautiful creations and tag us @BeadworksPhiladelphia on Instagram! Or stop by the store to show us. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about this or any other project you are working on. We’re here to help!